Wednesday, March 28, 2007

on the road again...

it's time for another fun-filled regional conference...only this year I'm not all that excited about it, except that I get to go to St. Louis. My problem is that I have experience excellent groups of people, amazing presentations and sincere individuals who really want to know everyone; not to mention it's over Final Four weekend. Now, I know that you need to do certain things at certain times, but it only cements the knowledge that this field is 87% female and large percentage of that group does not respect March Madness.
So here's the deal, now I'm in a different "region," which means basically a new realm of people. Two years ago, my first year here, I couldn't go to the conference because of funds, time, travel, homework, etc. Last year, I was so up to my neck in research participants both for my study and the typical schedule that I was only able to attend one presentation and a dinner (instead of the full 2 1/2 days). Besides the cool stuff my university did (since we hosted) I wasn't really all that impressed and was even less enthused at our national conference. But I have decided that I will give it a shot, try to be open-minded and hope for the best. Deep down I don't think it's gonna be up to what I'm used to experiencing; I think my expectations will be met--that I will interact with the very few people I know, that no one new will introduce themselves to me or respond with more than an acknowledging smirk when I attempt to greet them, and that those in charge will continue to listen to the same people who have been part of the organization for the last 15+ years.
Enough grumbling...I have to admit I've become a nosey neighbor, in the extent that I watch the crazy people in my neighborhood. My next-door neighbor's daughter thinks she's becoming a racist because of her response to those who live around us. Granted, we are the ethnic minority on our street, but what we're afraid of has nothing to do with skin color. It's all about presentation and actions and the actions we are seeing and sketchy at best. Ah the joys of the ghetto...

No comments: